Monday, June 30, 2008

FORMING THOUGHTS, REFLECTING LIFE

Of all the books that I have read (and that is many!), four in particular have had a significant affect on me:
Mimetic Reflections:
A Study in Hermeneutics, Theology and Ethics,
by William Schweiker;
Role Playing and Identity:
The Limits of Theatre as Metaphor,
by Bruce Wilshire;
Improvisation:
Drama of Christian Ethics,
by Samuel Wells;
and
The Drama of Doctrine:
A Canonical-Linguistic Approach to Christian Theology,
by Kevin VanHoozer.

The first book introduced me to the notion of mimesis
through a theological discussion of Derrida, Girard, Gadamer, Ricoeur, and Kierkegaard;
the second book introduced me to phenomenological philosophy
through theoretical discussion of theatre, my life-long passion;
the third book confirmed my intuitions
regarding the application of Keith Johnstone's ideas on improvisation to Christian life;
and the fourth book authenticated that confirmation
by radically applying the theatre metaphor to Christian doctrine.

Now I hope to bring it all full circle
by drawing on all four books to express my own thinking
regarding the actual practice of "putting on Christ."

1 comment:

Symmimex said...

See Kevin Vanhoozer's DRAMA OF DOCTRINE: http://www.tiu.edu/files/tiu/trinitymagazine/drama06.pdf