Monday, June 30, 2008

QUESTIONING MY PREMISES & MY THEOLOGY

My son, Vincent, read what I have written here and wondered whether I have become so obsessed with this idea of Christians as actors before God that I no longer question my premises or my theology. I answered that my idea seemed strongly supported by Scriptural passages quoted.

The imperative to “become imitators of God” includes the Greek word commonly used to refer to actors. Another word for actors is used in the imperative “do not be like the hypocrites.” The use of these terms provoke me to think of how theatre may help one understand what the Scriptures may mean. The very word “theatre” comes directly from the same word used by Paul when he speaks of having “been made a spectacle.” Doing “acts of righteousness” is to be carefully done, not merely to be seen by others but by God “who sees what is done in secret.” This constant intentionality implies that the Christian “actor” is never off-stage.

I'll keep posting my thoughts on these things as I continue to question both my premises and my theology.

No comments: