Monday, June 30, 2008

FROM ME TO NOT-ME TO NOT-NOT-ME

The me, the biological-historical individual, the actor, encounters the not-me, the role given in the script; in the crucible of the rehearsal process a strange fusion or synthesis of me and not-me occurs. Aspects of the actor’s experience surface which tincture the script-role he or she has undertaken, while aspects of the dramatist’s world-view or message embodied in the script and particularly as understood from the perspective of the “character” being played penetrate the essence of the actor as a human being. The director’s role is mainly catalytic, he assists the alchemic or mystical marriage going on as the actor crosses the limen from not-me to not-not-me. The me at this third stage is a richer, if not deeper me than the me of the beginning.
Victor Turner, From Ritual to Theatre: The Human Seriousness of Play

No comments: